- Unsalted butter for the cake pans
- 1 cup cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher or fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups grated parsnips, about 4 trimmed and peeled parsnips. Use the shredding blade for your food processor or the coarse holes on a box grater.
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked dried coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup Coconut oil or other neutral oil
- 2 large eggs or Vegan Eggs
- 1 8-oz package of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Butter a 9-in cake pan. Line the bottom of the pan with a circle of parchment paper. Butter the parchment paper.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. In another bowl, stir together the parsnips, coconut, walnuts, and raisins.
Slowly, beat together the sugar and oil until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time until the batter is smooth. Add the flour mixture and beat just until it disappears. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the parsnip mixture until evenly distributed.
Spread the mixture in the pan. Bake the cake until it starts pulling away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
Let the cake cool then run a table knife around the inside edge of each pan to loosen the cake sides. Invert the cake onto the racks and peel off the parchment paper. Let cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting (optional)
Beat the cream cheese until smooth, about 3 minutes. Combine the butter and beat another 2 minutes. Add the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Spread the frosting over the top of the cake. Garnish the top evenly with the coconut. Refrigerate the cake for at least 45 minutes to set the frosting. Remove from the refrigerator 30 to 40 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Diane Morgan